What is a capsule wardrobe?
It basically is a way of simplifying your wardrobe, by selecting a limited number of your favourite clothes, reassessing them regularly, and shopping more intentionally and less often. A general rule to follow is that clothes selected are clothes that fit your lifestyle and body right now.
What are the benefits of a capsule wardrobe?
There are loads of benefits to capsuling, a few are:
- spending smarter
- dropping a shopping habit
- wasting less time deciding what to wear
- less clutter, calm mind
- less options, more creativity
Wanna get started with your capsule wardrobe?
1. Remove everything from your wardrobe and put it on the bed. And yes we mean everything, emptying your wardrobe is the key to success!
2. Select 37 items of your current clothes. Your 37 pieces should include: tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, and shoes. And shouldn’t include: underwear, workout clothes, jewelry, swimsuits, pajamas. (Don’t get obsessed with the number most capsule wardrobes vary between 33 to 37 items, choose the number that works for you).
3. Wear only your selected 37 items for 3 months (a.k.a a season).
4. Don’t shop at all in the 3 months, enjoy your capsule collection!
5. In the last 2 weeks of the season, plan and shop for next season’s capsule wardrobe.
Tips and things to consider when capsuling
- Weather: what’s the weather look like for the next 3 months?
- Lifestyle: think about how you spend your time? How much time do you spend at work, gym, at home, going out? Plan accordingly
- Special events and travel: Do you have any travel plans? Any special events lined up?
- Think of creating your go-to uniforms with your capsule items 🙂
- Take notes of items you didn’t wear or items that were missing,
- Before you spend any money ask yourself do I really need it? And make sure to check for online deals!
Let the decluttering begin!